[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(./includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(): Failed opening './includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/php54/lib/php')
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Federal Government Girls College Owerri • View topic - 1st Annual FGGC OWERRI ALUMNI RE_UNION DC/MD- July 14 '07

1st Annual FGGC OWERRI ALUMNI RE_UNION DC/MD- July 14 '07

Postby chizor » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:18 am

horizon wrote:chizor it seems ur b.day had more male attendants than female......abeg revive dat 'lntrodunkowa' thread and share abeg!!

Yes o! there was a ratio of about 10:7. You know guys now…when they hear say na babe dey do party they will definitely land. Interestingly, all the guys I invited turned up, but about 4-5 chics couldn’t make it. My dear, I don do all the introdunkowa wey dey possible following that day. Some were fruitful some where not. I always like to hook up my sisters when possible. O di essential!!!!!
"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."

-Proverbs 16:3
chizor
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby weruche » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:24 pm

This is to let you guys know that the conference-call meeting we had with Agodi Alagbe- Class of '83 on Saturday 25th August was a success.
We discussed issues regarding our recent fund-raiser. We will keep you updated as to where we are in our agenda.

Volunteers in Nigeria are greatly welcome as one of the key issues we are faced with, is not having someone locally to work with.
We are grateful to those of us who took the time to be there and we look forward to more people's involvement, in making a difference in FGGC OWERRI.
Thanks everyone and God Bless.
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. ( Phil. 3: 13-14)
weruche
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby gommie92Set » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:56 pm

:D Diva and all who participated in the conference kini, good job!!! Looking forward to seeing the agenda... :wink:
Last edited by gommie92Set on Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gommie92Set
Prefect
Prefect

Postby weruche » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:36 pm

For sure gommsicle :wink: :wink:
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. ( Phil. 3: 13-14)
weruche
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby uluisrare » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:01 am

weruche wrote:This is to let you guys know that the conference-call meeting we had with Agodi Alagbe- Class of '83 on Saturday 25th August was a success.
We discussed issues regarding our recent fund-raiser. We will keep you updated as to where we are in our agenda.

Volunteers in Nigeria are greatly welcome as one of the key issues we are faced with, is not having someone locally to work with.
We are grateful to those of us who took the time to be there and we look forward to more people's involvement, in making a difference in FGGC OWERRI.
Thanks everyone and God Bless.

really nice.... really nice...
ok i am on ground, u guys let me know how i can help sha...
i hardly travel to the east BUT... I can help somehow... and i know other alumni who may not be on the site but who live there and wld gladly help if i inform them...
If swimming is so good for you why are whales so fat?
uluisrare
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby sandy » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:03 pm

[quote="weruche"]

Volunteers in Nigeria are greatly welcome as one of the key issues we are faced with, is.... not having someone locally to work with.

:D :-D CHAI! LOCAL CHAMPS KWENU :!: :!: ULU NA MA VOICE AND UR OWN I HEAR PASS :P FOLLOWED BY GLO.
sandy
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby dubem » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:00 pm

FGGC Owerri Alumni Association Minutes
August 25, 2007

The meeting was called to order by Weruche Uzoka at 7:15 p.m.
All were welcomed to the Tele-conference.
An initial issue with getting on the conference call line delayed the start of the meeting.
In attendance
Agodi Alagbe 83
Kelechi Akwukwaegbu 93
Weruche Uzoka 93
Chidubem Achara 94

Discussion
1. Kelechi said that Ekaette voiced her concern that her contacts in Nigeria are not willing to come in on the project. Ekaette said that she feels we need someone on ground back home to move the work forward there. Kelechi said that Ekaette had a wedding obligation and so couldn't be on the call today.

2. Weruche used the opportunity to thank Agodi. Agodi said that she is excited at what we are trying to do. She said that Ekaette introduced her to what we are trying to do and that Ekaette deserves all the credit for rallying around alums from the 83 set to further this work. Agodi worked as a school principal for many yrs and is trying to start a boarding school here in the states. She has hosted kids from Nigeria for 2 wks over the summer in a leadership program that she coordinates in Los Angeles. Agodi said that it is critical for us to find a reliable person back home. Someone who is a right fit, that will act as a liaison between us and FGGC Owerri. She noted that the challenges with people in Nigeria is mostly logistics, that people are incapacitated by all the difficulties that they face i.e. good roads and transportation back and forth between cities. She said that the critical ingredient in dealing with people in Nigeria will be trustworthiness. The following points were highlighted:
    a. We need to look through our alumni contacts in Nigeria and see if we can come up with reliable people to see if they fit our requirements. Delivery is key and paramount. The selected individual will be our voice, eyes, and ears. Agodi gave and example of her sister in-law who she thinks might be a good fit. She is an alum and may have been in the pioneer class of FGGC Owerri. She is honest, handles financial maters well, lives in Asaba and will give accounts up to the dollar. She said that if we can think of people like that in our network we need to contact them to see if they are interested in this endeavor.
    b. We need to acquire a list of things needed in FGGC Owerri that will really make a difference i.e. fans and window nets etc Weruche knows some alumni who still live in Owerri. She suggested starting an alumni association in Nigeria that has the same goals that we have so that we can channel funds directly to them instead of to an individual. Dubem mentioned that the 94 set has a group that she can connect with to see in she can rally up interested parties. All others will check their contacts as well.
Agodi mentioned what she called the Nigerian factor. How things just don’t move as quickly as they do over here. Our goals should be meeting the needs of the school today. We shouldn’t focus on sets but more on a unified vision and willingness from the members to carry that vision forward.

3. Kelechi reminded us that Ngozi will be going home soon and had mentioned her willingness to talk to staff about our venture. Weruche and Dubem agreed that it would be more of going and finding the need of the school at this time. Dubem suggested taking pictures. The following points were highlighted:
    a. Agodi talked about access to the school. She suggested writing a letter that Ngozi will take with her when she goes.
    b. We need to setup an appointment to talk to the principal and let them know our agenda. That we are here to help you and we want to know what their needs are. We all agreed that we don’t want the politics; we want the person at the top to agree with us.
    c. We need an eye witness account of what is really going on. Once we gain a good rapport with the school we can then tell them that we need evidence to show people here of how things are and what is truly needed that way they will allow us take pictures that we can keep for our records. Agodi mentioned that news from back home is very discouraging and that a lot of work needs to be done.
    d. We want to be sure that what we do will make a difference.
4. Weruche suggested setting up an association and registering it. Agodi agreed and said that we do need to organize ourselves as a body and register ourselves as a business entity which is based on the state of registration and that this can be done via the office of the secretary of state and also as a non profit organization through the IRS so that we can get non taxable donations for our work. Agodi went into detail describing the difference between an association and an organization, being tax exempt 501c3 (gives most latitude) which means that the members can’t have any membership benefits, and being a public entity 501c7 (not as much flexibility as a 501c3). She said that since most orgs function to benefit their members in one way or another we have to choose wisely. We settled that a 501c3 will not work for us looking forward. Agodi said that registering a company doesn’t take a lot and that once registered we can then open a bank account. She also said that we need to set aside $500 or $700 for form processing fees, and assign board members who will serve on the governing body and will be responsible for setting up the bylaws. She said that we were well on the way by taking minutes already.

5. Agodi said that from all the energy we have put in and so far and from our evident determination to move forward, that the vision is there and she doesn’t see why we can’t make it as an organization. We will be asked if it is a membership association...yes. Membership will be by virtue of being an alum. As to how officers will be selected, the duration of their term, all that should be noted in the bylaws. Membership should be open to everyone that went to FGGC Owerri. It should also be noted that our board of directors will be constituted over various sets to be an operational board and that we will have a spread of representation the best that we can which will enable board members attract people from their various sets. Agodi said that she is for whoever is willing to do the job to be the person to be assigned to the job for now because if we try to represent everyone then the thing can grind to a halt. The following points were highlighted:
    a. Register our organization using a book by Mark Warda “How to form a non profit corp”
    b. One person will setup bylaws and post to team for review
    c. Set aside funds that will be used for filling fees
    d. Get an attorney that will act as a guide in helping us decide what type of company will best work for us. Weruche mentioned Ngozi as our internal resource.
6. Weruche asked how often we will meet. Kelechi suggested getting out the minutes and give ourselves a month to get stuff situated. She said that she will contact Ngozi to find out when she is going and how that lines up with our meetings. Weruche suggested having a meeting with the group and giving her specific instructions as to what we expect. We agreed on having a meeting in 2 wks. Weruche picked up on Agodi's suggestion for a letter that Ngozi will take on her trip to enable her get the appropriate audience. Agodi suggested getting Ngozi an appointment before she leaves.

7. Agodi thanked Weruche on behalf of all on the call for all her efforts in spearheading the move towards making this vision a reality. She thanked her for the calls and for the emails that she sends out to keep people informed.

8. Due to the low turnout at the conference it was agreed that all members of the current board will be asked to re-evaluate their ability to serve on the board based on what they had on their personal plates.

Tasks / Open Issues
1. Find alumni in Nigeria who will act as a liaison between us and the school body
2. Register and determine whether to be an association or an organization
3. Research and decide the best place to register the group
4. All board members have been asked to re-evaluate their interest in being on the governing board
5. Roles need to be defined (President, secretary, treasurer, etc)
6. Policies and procedures need to be set up
7. Select a name for the group (this was not mentioned but is very critical)…suggestions are welcome
8. Specify in what areas our group will best help FGGC Owerri based on their needs
9. Dubem to contact the 94 set group to see if anyone fits the profile we are looking for.
10. Draft a letter that will be taken when a representative goes to meet with the principal
11. Next Meeting has been scheduled two weeks from now - Sept 8, 2007, at 7:00 p.m. This is required so that further directives can be given to Ngozi for her trip to Nigeria. Tele-Conference information will be posted at a later date
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whatever I allow into my world becomes my reality

To the degree that we seek the approval of men, we will compromise our obedience to Christ - Rick Joyner
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
dubem
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby weruche » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:19 pm

Thanks a lot Dubem, for compiling the minutes. I couldn't have asked for better detail.

I urge you people to be a part of this, by giving us your advice, constructive criticisms and all. It will help us make this a reality.
Shaded, blackie, trish, Chizor, Uluobi, Ngoma, Chinyere, Gloria, Sandy, Stella , Onyinye and all of you that come on here, it'll be nice if we can have your involvement. What we need are people who can think and make suggestions and come up with ideas.
Your location doesn't matter. I said in an impromptu meeting with Chidubem today, after she asked what we will call our organization, that there is no need for us to call it a USA alumni organization, since it will discourage people who don't live in the US from being involved. Nneka Mere came from the UK for the first Alumni reunion in Maryland, that should count for something. Where it was hosted, didn't faze her. She made her pledge and was a part of the meeting, that day. We have to acknowledge her interest and not discourage others like her by insisting on a location. In time we will schedule meetings in other parts of the world like say the UK, France, Nigeria etc. regardless of the reunions we will have in say the US , Nigeria or London yearly.
We are thankful for the Internet and email. We are all just a click away and can stay updated. We have a good website and can all get email updates from time to time.
I still insist on a strong body in Nigeria. They can in time be the managers and schedulers of our seminars and all, in Nigeria. ( I have a vision where we will have seminars like career development seminars for the girls, Aids awareness, Anti-violence seminars, wellness programs, etc, and someone from here, who happenes to go back home, like say Uju, Adaku93, Blackie, Trish, Ngoma or any other person will educate them or give talks, relating to their fields but thats a topic for another day)
I still believe that if we channel our funds from here through them, they as a body will be accountable to one another, that way our goal of transparency and good execution, will be reached.
It is one body, same goals, same vision, one alma mater- only different locations.

Please, we need your participation- not only financial contributions. I personally believe that money with no good plans/ ideas, is wasted money.

Thanks girls and God Bless.
weruche
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby gommie92Set » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:39 pm

Dubs, you don't miss a thing huh? Na u biko :wink:

Diva, as always, I am here to support my beloved feddy owerri. If it's to give posing lessons, I dey O!!! :lol:

But seriously, I still have not heard anything from you about where to send my pledge. Please let me know what's up on that tip ok?

We all have experiences to share and words of encouragement to give others. Like Sandy said in the "Quotes for the Day" thread....."The Great Teacher Inspires"....If you know you have what it takes to lead, inspire, encourage, comfort, teach, please show your support and love :D

I know it can be difficult for women to work together but I know we can make it work :wink:

Ok! Before I over rap let me sign off :-D
gommie92Set
Prefect
Prefect

Postby onyi810 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:56 pm

Kudos to you ladies. This is quite encouraging. Anything i can do to help.

Accept no ones definition of you, Define yourself.
onyi810
Council Chair
Council Chair

Postby Ugbonma » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:04 pm

This is really interesting oooo, I hope all plans go through effectively
Ugbonma
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby uluisrare » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:11 am

Really nice i tell u!
i like wot weruche said about having talks with them on isses (violence, AIDS etc)
i am not very sure wot name to call the "foundation" but i wld suggest a broader name... a name that 10 yrs down the line :wink: as the vision expands the name wld still be all encompassing.
From the fin perspective, an account has to be opened. 500 dollars used in getting a form cld easily get them a computer for the science lab, so let's do the CBA (sorry, cost benefit analysis) and be sure where and how we want to house the funds.
I wld suggest as Agode said we get a rep/reps and open an acct here in naija. we wld have like 4? or more (or less. lol) signatories to the account and for a dime to leave the account most/all of them wld have to sign for it. we just need to get pple we can rely on, who wld have the time and willingness to do it... esp, like someone pointed out, pple living around the eastern region of naija who can attend stuff like prize giving days, interhouse sports, foundation day (shey there was sth like that or am i imagining it? 8O ) PTA etc...
Having an external account might not really be it.
BECAUSE, if a need arises for eg. all the bureaucratic delays involved in getting the cash over to naija may not be funny.
like where i work (not cos i work here, i am citing an example) u cld operate a current account for 6mths and after that, u can open a domicialliary account (ie in fx)
So, i wld suggest we build stronger alumni network in various locations (Canada, SA, UK, Oman, France USA etc) and then make monthly contributions which wld be collected by a rep in each of these locations and then remitted periodically...
BUT, its not just enough to raise money...
we have to have clearly defined goals... we have to be sure wot it is we want to do, we have to have objectives... well defined and probably time based so we'd be ticking against wot we have achieved so far and all...
ok o... i have said enough, u guys let me know wot u think...
If swimming is so good for you why are whales so fat?
uluisrare
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby weruche » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:25 am

Thanks ulu for your excellent suggestions.
First we want to start by getting a strong enough base. That includes registering us as an organization, which we are already working on. with that we will get an account in the United states and then channel funds from here to Nigeria to execute projects. A body needs to be set up in Nigeria and we look for volunteers, that will do the legwork and tell us the current prices of things etc.
We will in future have an account set up there in Nigeria, so that we can channel funds for future specific projects. For now, the money we will have are from individual pledges, which we urge everyone to contribute to and which we will keep in our FGGC OWERRI account, upon registration. A few people on board will have access to this account here.
As Agodi pointed out, you have to have structure or you will fall by the way side. first off, people lose interest when you don't have a solid base and are easily blown around by the wind. She said she has seen people like us start off with projects like this, but over time lose members and then pack up. It's simple. You have an organization, you have structure, you have a presence, and everybody is accountable. you are not doing things on your own, you have people to answer to. that's what makes it strong. people always say they are interested in things, but when the chips are down you can't find them when you need them.
Also, when we talk about executing projects, we talk about PLANNED projects that we have done a market survey for. We are not going to blind-sided by surprises, because we are only doing what we can. The idea of "a need arising" will not come up because everything we intend to do will be planned and decided for. the time to send the money and making sure the appropriate hands have the money on time, will all be planned out, prior to executing. bear in mind that we are trying to do things that we have decided are useful to the girls and the school as a whole, not what THEY say we should do for them.
In Nigeria, the first thing is to have people with similar interest who are willing to do this, on their own. Not people you have to suggest to, goad or beg. Do you know why? Because if they don't really want to do it, they will not come through. They will lack the passion. Until we have a group of people, who have shown interest and on their own, communicated with us here, then we will know what we can depend on them to execute, without having to pressure or remind them to do.
Dubem made contact with a girl from the '94 set, who sent her an email with genuine interest. She wanted to know our mission and vision. Such a person, in time will be an asset and hopefully can go the long haul to see things executed as planned.
If you can ulu, start by sending out emails to the ladies you know in your area( ABJ) regardless of what set they finished from. i can give you names off the top of my head: Uzo ufere, Uloma Ajuguo, Chioma Obidiegwu, Akunna Okereke , ogedi okwuosa, ugo kalu- ukwu and this is just the 93 set. if you like i can call them up from here and start the process for you. You can have a small meeting in your house, a restaurant etc. You guys can discuss issues and get in touch with us here about what you will be interested in helping out with. it's all volunteering. hopefully, others in the east will come together too and decide on what they can assist with and so on. in time if there is a meeting in owerri, or lagos, then a few people who choose to attend will and from there we have a group of people together with similar interests.
A time will come when we here will have fund raising parties, by selling things at fairs and also gain the recognition of agencies who will contribute to our course, but for now we are working with what we have and starting off small. This was the first fund-raiser and we will have more in the future. Let's kick it off right, by laying a solid foundation.
Thanks again, for the good points.

I need the names of the current principal, Vps and senior boarding house mistress. I am drafting a letter from us here and need to know who i am addressing. if you can ulu help me make a few calls, so i can have their names, biko, oh!
thanks.

Gommsicle sweets :wink: :wink: Thanks girl for posing lessons, they'll come in handy. i no come see ya break lights naa, wetin happen? change of plans? holler at your girl.
weruche
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby darinka » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:17 pm

Your ideas and suggestions are very good. H/ever, there's one point
I'd like to bring up: we learnt not long ago that Unity schools are going
to be privatized, though we don't know when. And when this happens,
it then means that FGGC Owerri like other Federal colleges, will hitherto
be managed by private people, thus a change of status. We know that admissions aren't strictly based on merit now, and that merit will completely disappear once this privatization is introduced - a situation in which children of the less rich will definitely be excluded. In this case, all these generous gestures will merely contribute to helping the children of the rich whose parents will have paid heavy sums to the futur proprietors in order to get them admission into the school. While still making plans, why not slow down a bit to see the outcome of things as regards the privatization? This is just an idea that came to my mind; you can consider it or leave it :smt102
< God loves me immensely (John 3:16)
HE thinks about me all the time. Ps.139:17-18
HE knows my name. John 10:13
Therefore, I am not anonymous to God.
Alleluia!!! >
darinka
Council Chair
Council Chair

Postby weruche » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:00 pm

Whenever that takes place...if it does, then we'll see. For now, we will do what we can to make a difference in FGGC OWERRI.
Thanks for your suggestions though...
weruche
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Previous

Return to Reunion