[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(./includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(): Failed opening './includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/php54/lib/php')
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Federal Government Girls College Owerri • View topic - LASER DISCS

LASER DISCS

Have questons on programming, hardware, software, etc. Find out more information about the latest gears, tools, software, etc. Also, your tech questions can be answered here.

LASER DISCS

Postby chinelo » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:10 pm

I have bin meaning to ask o, whatever happened to laser discs? around mid-ninties it really was so in then all of a sudden went off just like dat. VCDs and DVDs came and r conquering.
was it that it wasn't cost effective for manufacturers or it wasn't user-friendly or low patronage. i don't why but i really want to know what wiped it out so fast. plain curiousity
chinelo
Prefect
Prefect

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:54 pm

that thing (laser disc) was as big as a space mountain. Over the years, I think because DVD and VCD provided better compression; Are also able to fit more data, the became more of a practical and acceptable standard.

Postby Prince » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:47 pm

Laserdisc had its moment. A precursor to the present day DVD, it became victim of its own offspring’s popularity.

An optical disk, especially one on which programs are recorded for playback on a television set, laserdisc is an old movie medium that never really took off and has been replaced by better quality, more compact DVD. It makes really excellent arcade games though. Program and data could be stored on both sides as opposed to single-sided more efficient DVD.

It was simply a big shiny round vinyl coated plate, 12 inches in diameter, capable of housing only 1 hr of analog video per side in CLV mode, or 30 minutes (36 mins for PAL) in CAV mode. Although better than VHS and VCD, it is not as good as DVD. It wasn’t cost effective. They presented portability, storage, and production problems. It just got drowned off by fast moving technology.
If you s-m-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l-l what the Prince - is - cooking!!
(Adapted from WWE’s Rock.)
Prince
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby chinelo » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:51 am

Prince,that question had your name on it (bet u didn't see it).i simply knew u would provide not just answers but facts to go with it.(efico)
So i'm not accused of favouring one person over d other, i'd like to thank d author of d 1st post o. it's just that i expected a reply from prince. I suspected laser discs were no longer practical but i needed to hear something concrete to prove my suspicions.you guys did alot more than i expected,thanx a whole lot :wink:
chinelo
Prefect
Prefect

Postby Prince » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:59 am

There’s a lot to be said about telepathy, isn’t there? I guess I’ll have to plead guilty to providing excess and unnecessary information. I’m glad I was able to rise to the occasion.
If you s-m-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l-l what the Prince - is - cooking!!
Prince
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby Ada92 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:42 pm

Yes Chinelo...Prince sure is the man to call on whenever we need info or advice and he will be there. Keep it up dude....we all learn from you! :wink:
Ada92
Prefect
Prefect

Postby Prince » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:26 am

Easy, Ada, easy. You give me too much credit. I just happened to have the one info Chinelo ever needed. You guys make me blush so much people are beginning to think I wear make-up. Thanks for the acolade, all the same.
Prince
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby weruche » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:48 pm

thnx for the info prince, to think i too always wondered what happened to laser discs...
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. ( Phil. 3: 13-14)
weruche
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Return to Technology