[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(./includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(): Failed opening './includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/php54/lib/php')
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Federal Government Girls College Owerri • View topic - SOYINKA REACTS...

SOYINKA REACTS...

Share your political thoughts here. Nigerian politics and more

SOYINKA REACTS...

Postby darinka » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:12 pm

Soyinka calls for polls annulment; wants Iwu sacked

Posted to the Web: Saturday, April 28, 2007

LAGOS — NOBEL Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, yesterday, called for the cancellation of the April elections and the immediate sack of the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) Prof. Maurice Iwu.

According to the renowned playwright, “the shame is too much a burden to be imposed on Nigeria.” He noted that the irregularities that happened during the elections, merely exposed the incompetence of Iwu.

He also urged that President Olusegun Obasanjo and Sunday Ehindero, the Inspector General of Police (IGP) should be brought to book over the shoddy exercise which local and foreign observers condemned outrightly.

In a chat with the media in Lagos yesterday, Soyinka expressed the readiness of the civil society groups to stage a protest for the cancellation of the results and the conduct of fresh elections that would reflect the aspiration of the Nigerian people.
Said he: “We call for the dismissal of Prof Iwu. This is the categorical demand. This is a just demand, for even at the level of incompetence. Forget about the question of partiality or anointing any candidate.

“The incompetence of Prof. Iwu is the blot on the capabilities of the people of the nation which have

been remarked in so many fields throughout the world. It’s shameful that Iwu has the nerve to still sit in that chair as director or chairman of the electoral commission.
“But why should we be surprised? By now, even the president of this country should have resigned, for treating this nation to such a show of shame, one that he personally designed, choreographed and directed.

“Nobody is asking him at this stage, where is your resignation? He only has one month left. That’s not the problem. But let’s make sure that he does not exceed those remaining days by one single second. We think we have taken enough of him in this nation, he has imposed enough on the nation, and we want to wave him good bye in a friendly manner,” Soyinka appealed.

On the Inspector-General of Police, Soyinka noted: “Ehindero must also accept responsibility for the collaboration of his men in the violation of the political will of this nation.

“We saw on video tapes in many instances, police actually carting away the ballot boxes. I mean, what kind of police is that? Ehindero must accept full responsibility for it”, he said, warning the police not to disturb the peaceful protest that the masses would soon embark upon.

“I’m warning Ehindero, if he chooses to align himself on the side of violence against the people of this nation, one day, he would be tried for crime against humanity.”

Source:(Vanguardonline)
< God loves me immensely (John 3:16)
HE thinks about me all the time. Ps.139:17-18
HE knows my name. John 10:13
Therefore, I am not anonymous to God.
Alleluia!!! >
darinka
Council Chair
Council Chair

Postby darinka » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:19 pm

Buhari follows suite:

His words: “I said we don’t accept this election because it was not transparent. We and some political parties that we are working together have rejected it. We resolved to tell the people what we expect them to do.

“On Friday, if they go to the mosque, they should pray to God for the will of God to do justice over this cheating; this is because there is a covenant between the government and Nigerians based on the constitution of the country.

Elections must be conducted in such a way that people will be allowed to elect leaders of their choice.

“On Sunday, the Christians will offer prayers in the churches. On Tuesday, which is a workers day, political parties will come out and tell the people what they want them to do. The people should await further instructions from us.

We will show this government that we will not accept this brazen injustice meted on the Nigerian people.”
< God loves me immensely (John 3:16)
HE thinks about me all the time. Ps.139:17-18
HE knows my name. John 10:13
Therefore, I am not anonymous to God.
Alleluia!!! >
darinka
Council Chair
Council Chair

Return to Politics