[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(./includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(): Failed opening './includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php54/root/usr/share/pear')
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Federal Government Girls College Owerri • View topic - NIGERIA'S LEADER ...........

NIGERIA'S LEADER ...........

Share your political thoughts here. Nigerian politics and more

NIGERIA'S LEADER ...........

Postby chizor » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:35 am

....TO NAME CABINET

President Umaru Yar'Adua of Nigeria is due to announce his long-awaited cabinet in the capital, Abuja, almost three months after he was elected.
Thirty-two men and seven women will be sworn in as ministers at a ceremony - but who has what post is still unknown.

The delay has impacted badly on government activities.

Political analyst Malam Mahmud Jega told the BBC the main tasks for the new ministers will be fighting corruption, improving security and efficiency.

Mr Jega, Nigeria's Daily Trust newspaper editor, said that "reforming the electoral system of the country so that we are guaranteed better elections next time" was also another challenge.

Earlier this week, Nigerian senators confirmed the appointment of 39 ministers to fill Mr Yar'Adua's first cabinet.

But one nominee, Bode Augusto - considered favourite to become finance minister - was rejected by the MPs.

The Nigerian constitution requires that at least one minister is appointed from each of the country's 36 states to ensure fair representation.

Unity call

According to Abuja University political analyst Kabiru Mathu, the delay in announcing the cabinet was not surprising.

The new cabinet will reveal how influential Mr Obasanjo remains

"He [Mr Yar'Adua] is not a man to be rushed into taking sensitive decisions," he told the BBC's Network Africa programme.

Correspondents say that the list of nominees includes few high-profile supporters of the former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, suggesting that his influence might already be on the decline.

Only four ministers who served in Mr Obasanjo's cabinet have made it onto his successor's list.

The list of ministers also includes some opposition figures, apparently backing up Mr Yar'Adua's promise to form a unity government.

Power

A key challenge for Mr Yar'Adua's government is fixing Nigeria's power sector to ensure constant supplies of electricity across the country. Often businesses rely on generators.

Nigeria currently generates about 2,500 megawatts of electricity compared to the 20,000 megawatts experts say is needed for the country to enjoy stable power supply.

Already, the new president has been saying the right things about sorting it out.

But critics point out that his predecessor started out in a similar fashion in 1999 - but failed to deliver duing his eight years in power.

The choice of minister to sort out this problem is key and will determine whether Mr Yar'Adua is able to deliver.

Mr Yar'Adua's governing Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) won a landslide victory in April's elections, according to official results.

Local and foreign observers said the elections were heavily flawed

Although the opposition parties initially rejected the election results and filed cases in court to challenge the outcome, some backed down when Mr Yar'Adua promised them positions in a government of national unity.

Two leading opposition presidential candidates in the polls, former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar and former military leader Muhammadu Buhari, are pushing ahead with their court cases against Mr Yar'Adua's election.

However, many of their followers have left them to take up jobs in the new PDP government.

I think the paragrah in red was definitely a smart move by Yaradua. Easiest and quickest way to ease tension.
Also reminded me of something I read a while back which said something along the lines of.. hiring a former enemy and he will be more loyal than a friend, because he has more to prove
Last edited by chizor on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."

-Proverbs 16:3
chizor
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

NIGERIA'S LEADER TO NAME CABINET

Postby Omar » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:35 am

Am not trying to deviate from this topic, but I think alot is going on in nig govt now that makes me have this strong feeling and belief that the country will change soon.
See all the nominated ministers, they had to send their info to NYSC for clarification to make sure that all of them did their Youth service, and this new law of Us embassy not allowing any govenrment official travel without a clarification letter from EFCC.
then the EFCC arrest of some governors which will soon total to all of them. God help us...
It is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that shows mercy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Omar
Council Chair
Council Chair

Re: NIGERIA'S LEADER TO NAME CABINET

Postby chizor » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:38 am

Omar wrote:Am not trying to deviate from this topic, but I think alot is going on in nig govt now that makes me have this strong feeling and belief that the country will change soon.
See all the nominated ministers, they had to send their info to NYSC for clarification to make sure that all of them did their Youth service, and this new law of Us embassy not allowing any govenrment official travel without a clarification letter from EFCC.
then the EFCC arrest of some governors which will soon total to all of them. God help us...

Wow didnt know that. Thats well wikid!!

Yes!! i agree with you Omar...we will surely get there by the Grace of God!!!

chizor
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby dubem » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:40 am

Amen sisters :!:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whatever I allow into my world becomes my reality

To the degree that we seek the approval of men, we will compromise our obedience to Christ - Rick Joyner
dubem
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby chizor » Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:15 am

i read that Yar'Adua's has decided to take on the position of energy minister.

That shows that the guy might be very serious about his vow to try and fix Nigeria's power sector.

As energy minister, he will oversee Nigeria's oil industry and power. Lord help us!

chizor
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby dubem » Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:44 am

Amen.
I pray that God will give unto him wisdom and understanding to bring in the desired change to our nation...

He sure has a heart for it. :!:
I thank God for that :P
Whatever I allow into my world becomes my reality

To the degree that we seek the approval of men, we will compromise our obedience to Christ - Rick Joyner
dubem
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby obiageli » Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:21 pm

Amen to that oh, we really need it for our country.
obiageli
Prefect
Prefect

Postby onyi810 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:09 am

[quote="chizor"]i read that Yar'Adua's has decided to take on the position of energy minister.

BUT BABA SHEGEYE WAS PETROLUEM MINISTER DURING HIS TENURE OR IS MOST PART OF HIS TENURE AND WHAT HAPPENED, MORE OIL BLOCKS BEING ALLOCATED TO HIS LOYALISTS.

ACCEPT NO ONES DEFINITION OF YOU, DEFINE YOURSELF.
onyi810
Council Chair
Council Chair

Postby gloria » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:16 am

quite true baba shege was minister for petroleum for themost part of his tenure before daukoru was appointed minster for energy after the re-structuring of ministries. i'm not aware that obj made any discretionary awards of oil blocs during his tenure the blocks were all offered during bidding rounds i.e the highest bidder for an oil bloc would usually get it.
gloria
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby blackie » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:30 am

what is an oil block sef? I've heard the term being bandied about quite a bit and I think I can understand it in context, but I'm not so sure what it really means :smt017
Fearfully and wonderfully made. And then they threw away the mould
blackie
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby gloria » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:54 am

Without all the petroleum-lingua, it’s simply an ‘area’ identified/marked-out and allocated for petroleum operations. The manner in which land is divided into plots, is similar to the manner in which large expanses of oil producing areas are divided into oil blocs. (i.e. the way plots of land are allocated – oil blocs are allocated)
gloria
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby blackie » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:38 am

Thanks, Gloria. So these oil producing areas - which obviously are people's ancestral village lands and waterways- are now compulsorily acquired by govt and allocated to miners eh?
Fearfully and wonderfully made. And then they threw away the mould
blackie
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby gloria » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:06 am

yep! all land infact belongs to the state, held in trust by the state or federal government depending of course on the location
gloria
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Return to Politics