[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(./includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(): Failed opening './includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/php54/lib/php')
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Federal Government Girls College Owerri • View topic - WELFARE DEAL FOR NIGERIANS POOR

WELFARE DEAL FOR NIGERIANS POOR

Share your political thoughts here. Nigerian politics and more

WELFARE DEAL FOR NIGERIANS POOR

Postby chizor » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:03 am

The Nigerian government is launching a welfare scheme to help poor families.
They will get monthly payments for one year on condition that they send their children to school and get them immunised against childhood illnesses.

More info: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7137969.stm
"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."

-Proverbs 16:3
chizor
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby dubem » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:17 am

Wow, that's a great start...

I pray that this system will not be devalued and misused like it has over here...
Because the challenge here in the states that I have noticed mainly with the AA’s is that they get on it and develop a pauper mentality that say’s I need to be helped since I can’t help myself and stay there.

It would be best if they also developed a training center alongside it that allows the parents to explore certain options on things they could do, like trade school etc and become established in it so that they don’t end up right back where they started…

It will be a good thing to note that poverty is a state of the mind and even that will have to be reprogrammed in a way. They have to be taught to dream. To see things as possible for them.

I strongly believe that if this part is left out, they might as well just hand them over a steady pay check every month. :(
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whatever I allow into my world becomes my reality

To the degree that we seek the approval of men, we will compromise our obedience to Christ - Rick Joyner
dubem
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby blackie » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:18 am

dubem wrote:Wow, that's a great start...

I pray that this system will not be devalued and misused like it has over here...
Because the challenge here in the states that I have noticed mainly with the AA’s is that they get on it and develop a pauper mentality that say’s I need to be helped since I can’t help myself and stay there.

...It will be a good thing to note that poverty is a state of the mind and even that will have to be reprogrammed in a way. They have to be taught to dream. To see things as possible for them.

I strongly believe that if this part is left out, they might as well just hand them over a steady pay check every month. :(

Well said Dubem, I was half-watching a programme last night - Teenage gangs of South London and snatched off bits of conversation between Ross Kemps and the teenagers that went along the lines of

...The government has to give us money so that we will not want to go out and steal...We can't go out and look for jobs, that's why we steal, we can't go for job interviews - you get me- because they just look at you, you're black and you're from Peckham and they won't give you the job, so why bother.... :roll:

Talk about a defeatist attitude!!! Giving up without even trying, and taking the supposedly easy way out
Fearfully and wonderfully made. And then they threw away the mould
blackie
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby nkay » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:25 pm

dubem wrote:Wow, that's a great start...

:(

You can say that again Dubem. Its so sad cos some I've met even take pride in being on welfare. They work full time but are still on welfare and use food stamps PROUDLY. I have a lawyer friend that prosecuted a family for welfare fraud. They always had so much food stamps and usually sold them for money 8O. Thats so not fair because there are some families that really need it but can't get into the program.
"It is easier for us to believe in the wrath of God than in His mercy, for wrath is a feeling that is human while mercy is divine."
nkay
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby shaded » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:05 pm

it is not the poor misusing it that worries me. It is government officials seeing it as another source of stealing. Rest assured there is no money that Niger govt will give you will be so great that you do not need to work.

Good idea in theory, prays it works in practice.
shaded
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby zika_anoka » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:14 pm

shaded wrote:it is not the poor misusing it that worries me. It is government officials seeing it as another source of stealing. Rest assured there is no money that Niger govt will give you will be so great that you do not need to work.

Good idea in theory, prays it works in practice.

Gbam... If I get talk show u go bii regular invitee
zika_anoka
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby nkay » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:25 pm

shaded wrote:it is not the poor misusing it that worries me. It is government officials seeing it as another source of stealing.

True....true....the next thing we'll be seeing those corrupt officials stealing the money and using it to open Mr Biggs and Tantalizers for themselves.
"It is easier for us to believe in the wrath of God than in His mercy, for wrath is a feeling that is human while mercy is divine."
nkay
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby dubem » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:37 pm

@Nkay - Let's pray that doesn't happen.
The article said that it happened in the past but with all this anti-corruption talk, my prayer is for that to be be history as well.

As rightly noted, misappropriation can happen both on the poor persons side as well as the rich person, in the govt sector as well as in the private sector. So let all our knees be hitting the floor regarding all these change plans, so that they will work out.

To the degree that we seek the approval of men, we will compromise our obedience to Christ - Rick Joyner
dubem
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby sandy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:43 pm

I REALLY LOOK FORWARD TO WHEN THINGS WILL BE SAID AND WELL IMPLEMENTED IN NAIJA.
sandy
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby dubem » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:45 pm

Amen :!:

dubem
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby Ugbonma » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:22 pm

I just read the article now and I think Yar'adua has great plans for that country. We can only hope and pray that he does not get side-tracked along the way and divert his plans and deeds to less important issues, especially by the people his surrounded with.

Aside from setting up a welfare system to cater for the poor, i also think its only wise to begin to repair and maintain some of the infrasture we have in place already. Efficient supply of water and electricity is still a problem, the roads are still bad making transportation cumbersome and inconvenient, almost all public and federal schools, univs included, need major renovation and improvement; our teaching hospitals need major work, security is not even certain for the poor or middle class
I'd rather these problems be dealt with bcos they affect the poor people the most and giving them a monthly allowance may not necessarily hit the target (but its a good start anyways)
Ugbonma
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby uluisrare » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:29 am

ok, a lot has been going on in naija...
a lot of pple r dragging a lot of pple to election tribunals and some are winning and unseating pple successfully...
i hear that pple r not really that happy w the president cos of stuff he is doing and cans of worms he is opening...
he's been dragged to court too on allegations that he wasn't the rightful winner...
before i wld not have thot it possible that he cld be removed if he loses, but meeeen things r changing...
let's keep praying for God's will to reign..i dunno him too well but i kinda believe in him and believe that if given a chance he wld do stuff to improve life for nigerians...
that's just my little update, can't say too much before like play some security agents wld get interested in wot i have for breakfast, which route i take, and everything abt me... 8O
u guys pray sha...
If swimming is so good for you why are whales so fat?
uluisrare
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Return to Politics