[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(./includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(): Failed opening './includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/php54/lib/php')
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Federal Government Girls College Owerri • View topic - IS GOD AGAINST APRIL FOOL….

IS GOD AGAINST APRIL FOOL….

Discuss daily and general issues

IS GOD AGAINST APRIL FOOL….

Postby kk » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:56 am

My dear FGGC Owerrites.....the following is a thread of emails that ensued between a friend of mine and a Pastor who is against April fools day! Please your invaluable inputs are of course welcomed!

This begs the question: IS GOD AGAINST APRIL FOOL?

Dearly Beloved,

DO YOU DO SUCH THINGS?

"A man who tricks someone and then claims that he was only joking
is like a crazy man playing with a deadly weapon" (Proverbs 26:18,
TEV).

"April Fool" – a practice of intentionally deceiving people on
April 1 – has been in existence for centuries. It is a worldwide
phenomenon. There are many traditions behind this practice. When I
was young, especially before I became born again, I used to look
forward to the day to play pranks on my colleagues and even elderly
ones. I used to be delighted to see people and even me been deceived
and later discover that it was in the name of "April Fool." However,
since I became born again, I have desisted from such act, and I
cannot remember when I fell victim of that practice till this year
when a fellow Christian brother played the pranks on me. Later that
day, I received a news item via email that turned out to be a
falsehood. The fabricator of the news remarked at the end of the
email that it was "April Fool."

The two incidents really irritated me, and they made me to go into
archives to find out the origin of the practice. Regardless of the
numerous traditions behind its origin and its spread worldwide, it is
a fact that such practice should be discouraged especially among
Christians. Falsehood is a sin before God. One of the things that God
hates is "lying tongue" (see Proverbs 6:16-17; 12:22). The writer of
Proverbs 30:8 prayed, "Keep falsehood and lies far from me..." (NIV).
Paul told the Ephesians, "Therefore each of you must put off
falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbour, for we are all
members of one body" (4:25, NIV); and the Colossians, "Do not lie to
each other, since you have taken off your old self with its
practices" (3:9, NIV). Hence, it is wrong for any Christian to
partake in the practice of "April Fool." Such a Christian should know
that he/she is sinning against God, and God will reward such person
accordingly (see Psalms 5:6; 19:5; Revelation 21:8, 27; 22:15).

Do you do such things? Do you involve yourself in such "harmless"
or/and even real falsehood? Do such practices glorify God in your
life? "...whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1
Corinthians 10:31, NIV).

Regards,
Pastor...

Reply:

Dear Pastor

I have been a member of this digest for a while and I commend your
conviction of utilizing this medium to spread the word. On the note
of this APRIL FOOL digest, I bet to disagree with you.

You quoted from the Bible
"A man who tricks someone and then claims that he was only joking is
like a crazy man playing with a deadly weapon" (Proverbs 26:18, TEV).

Looking at the verse, the writer is simply encouraging us not to cry
wolf, this has no application to APRIL FOOL, as APRIL FOOL is only a
game, just like BOJU BOJU the game we played when we were little. On
the other hand, by crying wolf, we endanger ourselves and no one
takes us serious when we telling the truth. The writer of this verse
is simply saying this so as not to expose ourselves to this danger
thus the phrase "like a crazy man playing with a deadly weapon".
Please read the CRY WOLF story and then read this verse again, you
will definately find the similarities.

Secondly, a point in your write up, you said you were irritated, a
lot of people are irritated about APRIL FOOL, that is just you, you
don't like the game. Justifying your irritation with quotes from the
Bible!!, pls think about it.

My last point, APRIL FOOL does not bring any personal gain to whoever
is playing it. The reservation I have about APRIL FOOL and advice to
people that play it, is to be thoughful about playing it and play it
healthy. For example, playing APRIL FOOL on a 70yr old grandma with
HBP is unthoughtful and unhealthy.

In conclusion, using quotes from the Bible to pass judgement is a
practice that is very rampant within the Christian body at the
moment. The end thereof is that a lot of Christians don't even have
their own personal convictions about sins. "Me Pastor says its bad,
hence it is bad"

Regards,
Person A....

Reply from Pastor:

Beloved,

Thank you for your reaction to my message today. It shows that you are not only getting the weekly messages in your mailbox, but also reading and actually digesting them. I do not expect that all people will agree with these messages at the same time, neither do I expect a single person to agree with every message I send. If these happen, it means that such people cannot think deeply. (In fact, I expect many reactions on this particular message because I knew that it will be controversial.) Thank you that you expressed your disagreement to me. This will really help me in my ministry.

However, let me react to your disagreement: while I agree with you that “April Fool” is a game, my question is “Is it an edifying game, and does it give glory to God in the life of the person that plays it?” Apostle Paul said, “‘Everything is permissible’ — but not everything is beneficial. ‘Everything is permissible’ — but not everything is constructive” (1 Cor 10:23, NIV). He further said, “So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble...” (1 Cor 10:31-32a, NIV). Will you involve yourself in gambling just because it is also a game? You rightly said, “The reservation I have about APRIL FOOL and advice to people that play it, is to be thoughful about playing it and play it healthy. For example, playing APRIL FOOL on a 70yr old grandma with HBP is unthoughtful and unhealthy.” My question is how will you know whether a 20-year-old man has HBP or similar ailment, or even other problems that playing “April Fool” on may be harmful?

You also think of these things. Once again thank you for sharing your reservation on the message with me. I expect more of such reservations.

God bless you!

Pastor....

NB

I am still expecting to hear from you concerning what you promised.

Reply from Person A:

Dear Pastor

Thanks for your response

I will approach your statements individually

U said,

“My question is “Is it an edifying game” – first of all the dictionary meaning of GAME is an amusement or pastime, AMUSEMENT is to hold the attention of (someone) pleasantly. Thus, not edifying and game don’t belong in this same phrase. The idea of

BOJU BOJU, APRIL FOOL, SCRABBLE or MONOPOLY is pleasant. How can a game that is meant to create amusement cause anyone to stumble. How exactly does a game like APRIL FOOL cause anyone to stumble, if both the person playing it and the person it is played on are in agreement?

” My question is how will you know whether a 20-year-old man has HBP or similar ailment, or even other problems that playing “April Fool” on may be harmful? – U play a game with someone in agreement. You don’t go in the middle of Ojuelegba and start playing BOJU BOJU; neither do u get on a bus and demand to play SCRABBLE with the conductor on duty. This is shooting out of point, u either April fool your household members, your colleagues at work or your friends. In fact you will be silly to April fool your boss who does not really like you.

Will you involve yourself in gambling just because it is also a game? – The definition of gamble is to stake or risk money, or anything of value, on the outcome of something involving chance. Playing a game not for amusement but for a stake is gambling. So there is no application to gambling here whatsoever as APRIL FOOL does not involve any stakes. Once it is gambling, it is no longer referred to as a game.

Don’t get me wrong, you have every reason not to like or enjoy the fun or amusement involved with APRIL FOOL or in any other game, my point is that you are trying to justify this with verses from the Bible, i.e. making it like God has got issues with it. Still pressing on my last conclusion,”using quotes from the Bible to pass judgement is a practice that is very rampant within the Christian body at the moment. The end thereof is that a lot of Christians don't even have their own personal convictions about sins.”

Regards,
Person A
Enjoy life....You never live the same day twice!
kk
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Return to General Topics