[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(./includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(): Failed opening './includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/php54/lib/php')
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Federal Government Girls College Owerri • View topic - NEWS FROM NIG

NEWS FROM NIG

Discuss daily and general issues

NEWS FROM NIG

Postby adore » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:52 pm

I opened this thread for any kind of news from Nig or maybe Nigeria newspaper etc to avoid opening threads just to update each other on whats up in Nig.....
Please everyone shouls remember the innocent souls in Nig, this story is soooooooo sad and the one that even made me mad was how these people called nurses treat their fellow human beings in Nig in the name of deposit......... Am very upset. May God be with this family.......

At Madonna University, Okija, Anambra State, Gabriel Murdi was not a mediocre student. He toiled night and day to excel. A student of Public Administration, Gabriel reaped the fruit of hard work by getting Second Class Upper Division.

the dream of the young man did not stop at getting a good grade. He combed all nooks and crannies of the country looking for employment. After several months, Gabriel succeeded in getting a job at Zenith Bank.

However, his parents' investment in him was sent down the drain by the police. The 23-year-old graduate was coming from Lagos, where he had just been employed by the bank when the police gunned him down at a checkpoint at Agbor in the Ika Local Government Area of Delta State. His father, George, could not adequately express the tragic incident when our correspondent visited him in his Asaba home.

The young man was killed at a checkpoint in Agbor on November 3, when a bullet from a police corporal's gun, whose identity is yet to be unmasked, pierced through the booth of a car he boarded and hit him at the back. The bullet lodged in his intestine.

He was said to be in company with two boys, who offered him a lift from Lagos when a five-man police patrol team at the checkpoint flagged them down. But, this singular act of enforcing law turned bizarre when deafening sound of a gunshot was heard with Gabriel complaining that the police had shot him.

It was alleged that the policeman, who came to the waiting car to check the papers suddenly did a U-turn after the gunshot and hurriedly joined others as they fled in their patrol van. The boys were said to have attempted to chase them, but got confused at Uromi junction.

The father, a civil servant with the Nigerian Postal Agency, could not understand why the police, who are paid with taxpayers' money to save life and property, abandoned a victim of their alleged gunshot.

He said, "If it had been an accidental discharge and the police had responded responsibly and urgently to save my son's life, Gabriel wouldn't have died. They ran away as if they were employed to kill him. They are supposed to save lives, but see they are killing us. It has been happening to people, nobody really wants to care. It has now happened to me. It is my turn to cry out."

It was gathered that after the police had allegedly shot him and fled, Gabriel was still full of life when his friends brought him to Agbor Central Hospital at 6:30pm. It was also learnt that he contacted his mother on the telephone immediately he noticed he was shot. The medical personnel were said to have displayed nonchalant attitude. They did nothing, but asked for police report. But when the friends finally brought the police report, they asked for deposits before treatment.

His mother said that when she arrived at the hospital from Asaba, a distance of about 45 kilometres, Gabriel was still able to talk to her. She said she pleaded with the medical personnel to attend to him, but that they wanted money first. She said she had to go back to Asaba for money. It was when she went back to the hospital with money that Gabriel was moved to the theatre at about 11pm. He died at about 1am.

His father said, "Gabriel died because the system has collapsed. If they had attended to him on time, he wouldn't have died. In Nigeria, it is money first. Why not think of reviving the boy first, before asking for money. I will suggest that the Federal Government should look into the policy especially in federal medical centres. Unless advances are paid, no treatment is given. Now, we have paid the money, but Gabriel still died. Did they refund the money? I am losing my son, my money, everything."

But when the Chief Medical Director of the Agbor Central Hospital, Dr. Lawrence Pemu, was contacted, he claimed his staff did all they should do to save the deceased.

An autopsy disclosed that the bullet that was lodged in his intestine belonged to the police. His father has called on the Inspector-General of Police, Mike Okiro, Governor of Delta State, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan and the Delta State Commissioner of Police, Joseph Oshiomogho to bring the killers of his son to book.

When Delta police command was contacted, the Public Relations Officer, Mr. Charles Murka, said it would be premature for the police to comment on the matter. He added that the command had begun investigations into circumstances surrounding the death of Gabriel.

Though Murka assured that the police would deal with any policeman found guilty of the cruel act, people including the parents and friends of Gabriel have expressed fear that the murder of Gabriel might be swept under the carpet like other alleged unresolved police killings in the country.

The deceased was working as a freelancer at the Nigerian Television Authority, Asaba, before he got job at the bank. The Manager of News at the television station, Mrs. Benedicta Nwabuoke, who worked closely with the late Gabriel asked the government to scrutinise what the police were doing on the highway.

She said, "Gabriel is a boy that any mother would want to have as a son. He is very polite, very intelligent, and very obedient; I don't know how to describe him. He is just very vibrant, very articulate. For the police to have shot him for no just cause I don't know but the government should look into what the police are doing on the highway. They should look into it if not it could happen to anybody."
"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.(civil rights leader)
adore
Senior Student
Senior Student

Return to General Topics