[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(./includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(): Failed opening './includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/php54/lib/php')
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Federal Government Girls College Owerri • View topic - Can Twins Have Two different Fathers?

Can Twins Have Two different Fathers?

Discuss daily and general issues

Can Twins Have Two different Fathers?

Postby weruche » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:29 am

Not only is it possible for fraternal twins to have different fathers, it’s on the medical record books. This official medical term for this phenomenon is heteropaternal superfecundation.

The classic case was recorded in 1810 by John Archer, the first doctor to receive a medical degree in the U.S. According to Dr. Archer, a white woman who had sex with a black man and a white man within a short time of each other subsequently gave birth to twins—one white, one mulatto. Other cases have been reported since. And you thought this only happened with puppies?

Sperm cells can live inside a woman’s body for four to five days. Once ovulation occurs, the egg remains viable for another 12 to 48 hours before it begins to disintegrate; thus, the fertile period can span five to seven days.

Dr. Lawrence B. Werlin, founder and director of the Coastal Fertility Medical Center in Irvine, Calif., explains, “If the twins are fraternal, where two eggs (ova) are fertilized by two sperm and produce two genetically unique children, then one baby could be slightly older than the other. In addition, if a woman ovulates, releases two eggs and has intercourse with two different men, the eggs could be fertilized by both, resulting in fraternal twins with distinctive fathers.”

Historically, superfecundation has been difficult to prove, due to the crudeness of the blood-type testing methods. However, in 1978, Dr. Paul Terasaki of the UCLA School of Medicine reported in the New England Journal of Medicine that he and his colleagues had conclusively established a case of superfecundation using a sophisticated procedure called tissue HLA (or human leukocyte antigen) testing. Potential paternity-suit litigants, take note: This technique can also be applied to more conventional cases.

culled from MSN
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. ( Phil. 3: 13-14)
weruche
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby blackie » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:12 am

Charming! Just when I thought I'd gotten away with introducing my twin daughters to their long-lost uber-rich Grand uncle :) . Now he may start asking for a superfuncda.....wetincall test :evil: . Make una carry clock o! Nothing shall separate my girls from their inheritance, neither medicine, nor litigation, nor science, nor technology- not my fault I mistook Edward for Edmund all those years ago :?

All this Science and Technology sef, una too do. DNA testing never wreck enough families? Hmmm...
blackie
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby chinelo » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:42 pm

ohmigawd!! we were actually having dat argument one day like dat and i wasn't too sure abt it but blackky u r rite no one can deny ur girls of their inheritance.by d time dey are done taking samples up and down,u've killed the rich guy and doctored d will :D
chinelo
Prefect
Prefect

Postby weruche » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:04 pm

:lol: :lol: ...you guys are crazy :lol:
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. ( Phil. 3: 13-14)
weruche
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby Waffi » Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:39 pm

Yeah, thats true. I've read about it some place and had a discussion in class while in college sometime ago. Believe it or not, twins can have different fathers!
Waffi

Postby blackie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:47 am

It happened again in the UK, recently, twin kids different 'races', that is. But same father. I think it's just awesome!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... 082429.ece

and they said thunder never struck twice in the same place, how do you explain this with one in a million chances :!:
Fearfully and wonderfully made. And then they threw away the mould
blackie
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby O » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:45 pm

Thanks for the lovely thread, gals. The website is really nice. Amazing.
O

Postby uluisrare » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:13 am

O wrote:Thanks for the lovely thread, gals. The website is really nice. Amazing.

yes the website is really really nice and overwhelmingly amazing... with ur record breaking 5 posts in 4 years.... so what will it be? is this ur last post till 2010.... :P :wink: :P :-D

(i am just teasing o... it must be all that abacha - a.k.a tapioca- and coconut i have been gulping.... :oops: )
If swimming is so good for you why are whales so fat?
uluisrare
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Return to General Topics