[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(./includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(): Failed opening './includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/php54/lib/php')
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Federal Government Girls College Owerri • View topic - Share ur memories of saturday inspection and article writing

Share ur memories of saturday inspection and article writing

Discuss daily and general issues

Share ur memories of saturday inspection and article writing

Postby onyi810 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:46 am

MEN... it wasn't easy one bit from various chores like toilet, bathroom, ST bin and almighty lawn especially when it gets flooded due to rain, never ending scrubbing of first corridor cos some seniors will throw their manners and courtsey in the air and spoil ur gracious work. And of course almighty backlawn with all the designs and inscription of the name of ur house on it.
For those of u that were window workers yeah right it was an easy job but we all got punished after each inspection cos the likes of scrutinizing inspectors like Mrs duru, Mrs ezechukwu and Mrs njoku will always catch the glimpse of a filthy spot.
Infact i think i did all the work in Red house duty plan and i didn't find it funny most times but when i became Red house captain in my set, i sure knew how difficult it must have been for the prefects before me. Then we had the articles to battle with coupled with all their outstanding topics eg Science & technology, Aquatic life etc at a time we were actually using dictionaries to write articles of course when u don't submit on time u have the house capt or article prefect on ur neck especially late at night when ur deep in ur sleep and when u don't submit at all, mini stadium grasses were eager to welcome u on a saturday scortching sun time out. Such memories live on.
onyi810
Council Chair
Council Chair

Postby weruche » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:10 am

sorry but, I think this post should exist in the 'i remember' thread...no?
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. ( Phil. 3: 13-14)
weruche
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby igoloa » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:22 pm

i agree :)
igoloa
Council Chair
Council Chair

Postby onyi810 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:59 pm

yeah ur right but u can still share ur memories if any
onyi810
Council Chair
Council Chair

Postby blackie » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:51 am

I must have written hundreds of articles variously titled 'Cartoons' and 'Flowers', those seemed to be the evergreen topics. I also liked the artsy way we would have some of the articles written in one colour, and the other half in another. And when we just couldn't be bothered, we'd get Ngozi Uzokwe or some other artsy person to do a stunning drawing relating to the topic of the week; that usually worked. Or we'd simply recycle old articles carefully stored away!

In glorious hindsight, those days have helped prepare the Weruches among us for their writing career/pastime. Hail FGGCOW!
Fearfully and wonderfully made. And then they threw away the mould
blackie
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby chizor » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:40 pm

window shining and scrubbing corridor pot holes.

we also had to open our lockers when inspectors came round abi? why? :?

i remember having to leave my empty packets of provs in my locker for decoration, hoping that no one mistakenly moves/shakes the locker. na wa. things we did for our rep'.......
"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."

-Proverbs 16:3
chizor
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby horizon » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:41 pm

i remember if ur locker was emoty, u were advised to keep it shut1 however if one was full of provision, that was left wide open.
e don happen
horizon
Council Chair
Council Chair

Postby blackbeauty » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:39 am

Chizor and Horizon - I definitely feel you on the empty provision bit - OMG!!!! I will never forget the panic that sets in when I had to open my locker. I never threw out an empty provision packet because of saturday inspections, cornflakes,sugar, biscuit, milk tin, etc the lot, - just the thought now makes me cringe.

was glad though to be a back lawn worker in form I dormitory as I never missed my saturday morning bread and tea -!! Had to collect quite a few for friends who couldn't make it due to scrubbing away at one bathroom or toliet.

we talked about this particular issue a lot at our recent reunion.I will never forget those days!!!!!!!!!!!!
blackbeauty
Junior Student
Junior Student

Postby uluisrare » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:37 am

meeen school taught us so much o....
like how to slice open a packet of cabin neatly so even when it was empty it would still look full...
who remembers how back then all ur provs would finish and u wld have just sugar left... lousy!!!! :roll: and this would be like 2 weeks before
visiting day?
urs sincerely wld then resort to chewing gum and when all the sugar was gone, putting tiny bits of the remaining provision (sugar) in the gum so it wld not lose its flava....
nhia! school.... it was fun sha...

my best part was writing abt flowers....

but generally i didnt like friday nights much, everywhere used to be so noisy and topsy turvy... buckets scraping as pple dragged out water, mattresses lined up on each other and cartons, suitcases, boxes (u know boxes and suitcases were diff o.... suitcases were those samsonite ones, boxes were those tin trunks our parents got for us so our things wld be "secure" 8O :roll: ) as pple did the first scrubbing of the apt...

in fact it was only recently i started liking saturdays... right from when i was a kid, saturdays left me with memories of momsie/or househelps or me (whoever was so called at the time) scrubbing the floors and working working working.. then when it was all over, pots and pans all over the kitchen surfaces as momsie made huge pots of soup and stew...
now that i am older and wiser, i realise we really did not have to cook soups and stews in such a traumatising manner....

ah ah... momsie would have us pluck uha leaves, make akamu from the scratch (yes as in from the corn seeds...!!!!!!), make beans for moi moi from the scratch... and horror of horrors- pluck bitter leaf and process it for soup FROM THE SCRATCH...
Infact, i had better stop typing... when i went for therapy, the doctor said i shld forget those days and go to my happy place when the memories come up..... ;-)
If swimming is so good for you why are whales so fat?
uluisrare
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby uluisrare » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:38 am

meeen school taught us so much o....
like how to slice open a packet of cabin neatly so even when it was empty it would still look full...
who remembers how back then all ur provs would finish and u wld have just sugar left... lousy!!!! :roll: and this would be like 2 weeks before
visiting day?
urs sincerely wld then resort to chewing gum and when all the sugar was gone, putting tiny bits of the remaining provision (sugar) in the gum so it wld not lose its flava....
nhia! school.... it was fun sha...

my best part was writing abt flowers....

but generally i didnt like friday nights much, everywhere used to be so noisy and topsy turvy... buckets scraping as pple dragged out water, mattresses lined up on each other and cartons, suitcases, boxes (u know boxes and suitcases were diff o.... suitcases were those samsonite ones, boxes were those tin trunks our parents got for us so our things wld be "secure" 8O :roll: ) as pple did the first scrubbing of the apt...

in fact it was only recently i started liking saturdays... right from when i was a kid, saturdays left me with memories of momsie/or househelps or me (whoever was so called at the time) scrubbing the floors and working working working.. then when it was all over, pots and pans all over the kitchen surfaces as momsie made huge pots of soup and stew...
now that i am older and wiser, i realise we really did not have to cook soups and stews in such a traumatising manner....

ah ah... momsie would have us pluck uha leaves, make akamu from the scratch (yes as in from the corn seeds...!!!!!!), make beans for moi moi from the scratch... and horror of horrors- pluck bitter leaf and process it for soup FROM THE SCRATCH...
Infact, i had better stop typing... when i went for therapy, the doctor said i shld forget those days and go to my happy place when the memories come up..... ;-)
uluisrare
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby blackie » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:13 am

uluisrare wrote:....

suitcases, boxes (u know boxes and suitcases were diff o.... suitcases were those samsonite ones, boxes were those tin trunks our parents got for us so our things wld be "secure" 8O :roll: )

ulu, the official name was 'tinka box'. Who never had a tinka box, hands up... :lol:
Fearfully and wonderfully made. And then they threw away the mould
blackie
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby uluisrare » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:17 am

blackie wrote:

suitcases, boxes (u know boxes and suitcases were diff o.... suitcases were those samsonite ones, boxes were those tin trunks our parents got for us so our things wld be "secure" 8O :roll: )

ulu, the official name was 'tinka box'. Who never had a tinka box, hands up... :lol:

gosh i hated as in HATED those boxes... they were so difficult to carry... and when u finally got someone to help u carry them they were so painful on the knuckles... this life sef...
uluisrare
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby chizor » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:49 am

blackie wrote:

i never had a tinker box o! As Ajebo konsain
"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."

-Proverbs 16:3
chizor
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby uluisrare » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:06 am

chizor wrote:
blackie wrote:

i never had a tinker box o! As Ajebo konsain

IS lie!!!!
uluisrare
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby NeneU » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:48 pm

uluisrare wrote:in fact it was only recently i started liking saturdays... right from when i was a kid, saturdays left me with memories of momsie/or househelps or me (whoever was so called at the time) scrubbing the floors and working working working.. then when it was all over, pots and pans all over the kitchen surfaces as momsie made huge pots of soup and stew...

Oh my!!! Ulu, you're hilarious!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NeneU

Next

Return to General Topics