[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(./includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(): Failed opening './includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/php54/lib/php')
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Federal Government Girls College Owerri • View topic - Share ur memories of saturday inspection and article writing

Share ur memories of saturday inspection and article writing

Discuss daily and general issues

Postby nkay » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:53 pm

ah ah... momsie would have us pluck uha leaves, make akamu from the scratch (yes as in from the corn seeds...!!!!!!), make beans for moi moi from the scratch... and horror of horrors- pluck bitter leaf and process it for soup FROM THE SCRATCH...
Infact, i had better stop typing... when I went for therapy, the doctor said i shld forget those days and go to my happy place when the memories come up.....

Ulu u're just a nutcase. Therapy indeed! Don't even get me started on making food from scratch. My mum even goes as far as buying raw ukwa. We will boil it, dry it, then use beer or soda bottles to grind it so that the peels will come off . After that the grueling task of separating the peels from the ukwa starts, and woe betide you if she finds any peel in there. 8O 8O I think we did everything except make fufu from scratch.
"It is easier for us to believe in the wrath of God than in His mercy, for wrath is a feeling that is human while mercy is divine."
nkay
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby jezzy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:39 am

nkay wrote:
ah ah... momsie would have us pluck uha leaves, make akamu from the scratch (yes as in from the corn seeds...!!!!!!), make beans for moi moi from the scratch... and horror of horrors- pluck bitter leaf and process it for soup FROM THE SCRATCH...
Infact, i had better stop typing... when I went for therapy, the doctor said i shld forget those days and go to my happy place when the memories come up.....

Ulu u're just a nutcase. Therapy indeed! Don't even get me started on making food from scratch. My mum even goes as far as buying raw ukwa. We will boil it, dry it, then use beer or soda bottles to grind it so that the peels will come off . After that the grueling task of separating the peels from the ukwa starts, and woe betide you if she finds any peel in there. 8O 8O I think we did everything except make fufu from scratch.

Lolol,this brings back memories.Rolling beer bottle on Ukwa

:-D Washing bitterleaf was a nightmare for me and so was washing beans for moi-moi or akara and 'yoola'(sieving) the ground corn for pap.I thank God almighty for canned food and adulthood.
jezzy
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Postby horizon » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:43 am

umm!! i think i feel like having fresh pap with akara.any takers?
e don happen
horizon
Council Chair
Council Chair

Postby jezzy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:02 am

horizon wrote:umm!! i think i feel like having fresh pap with akara.any takers?

I am a taker.Just tell me where and when as long as you are the one that'll wash the beans and make the akara,I don't mind being the one that scoops it out of the hot oil or even the one that makes the pap(with hot water I mean,not from scratch). :-D :-D
jezzy
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Postby ozy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:50 am

jezzy wrote:
horizon wrote:umm!! i think i feel like having fresh pap with akara.any takers?

I am a taker.Just tell me where and when as long as you are the one that'll wash the beans and make the akara,I don't mind being the one that scoops it out of the hot oil or even the one that makes the pap(with hot water I mean,not from scratch). :-D :-D

I have never been a fan of akara and akamu. Maybe it was because of all the sweat that we put into making it back home. I hated washing the beans and the corn. Chai!! man pikin suffered. My mum always made her moi moi, akara and akamu from scratch and we usually do the hard work of removing the peelings and taking it to the grinder. Mind you, this process takes all day :x :x My mum never believed in having a blender. I don't even want to remember that akara and akamu.
"Everybody pities the weak; jealousy you have to earn."
- Arnold Schwarzenegger
ozy
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Postby uluisrare » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:02 am

ozy wrote:....Mind you, this process takes all day :x :x My mum never believed in having a blender. I don't even want to remember that akara and akamu.

ok o, i thot it was only me.... <hissssss> lol
If swimming is so good for you why are whales so fat?
uluisrare
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby jezzy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:18 pm

uluisrare wrote:
ozy wrote:....Mind you, this process takes all day :x :x My mum never believed in having a blender. I don't even want to remember that akara and akamu.

ok o, i thot it was only me.... <hissssss> lol

Did anybody fry garri?As in harvest the cassava,peel it,get it ground and all the good stuff that followed before the frying? :-D

Ulu,how waz your trad?Hope it went beautifully.
jezzy
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Postby NeneU » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:46 pm

Chai, thinking about those days....I dreaded coming home from school (primary school and during hols in feddy) and seeing harvested cassava waiting to be peeled. I mean, that process took forever, and then you had to take it to the grinders, then you had to yoooo (sieve) the cassava, and then comes the frying part. My aunt, who lived with us at the time, usually did the frying part (she was such a sweetheart, and I appreciate all her hardwork better now), but it was still painful doing all the other parts of the "garri making"....
NeneU

Postby dubem » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:26 pm

Yea my gradpa made me do that once..... :smt092 :smt011 :smt011

I always said, if he were here, he would have probably been a republican...
Always believed in hardwork...

jezzy wrote:
Did anybody fry garri?As in harvest the cassava,peel it,get it ground and all the good stuff that followed before the frying? :-D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whatever I allow into my world becomes my reality

To the degree that we seek the approval of men, we will compromise our obedience to Christ - Rick Joyner
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
dubem
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby chizor » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:23 am

It's interesting to hear that a lot of us went through the same thing.

Luckily, I never had to fry garri, but I had to peel cassava and I did everything else mentioned above plus more. To a large extent, my gandmum was the instigator of all of them…Anytime she came around, panic set in. I love her though…..

I really hated having to gbaala egusi, and pound it until oil came out of it. Infact, no…it was picking rice that I hated the most…or perhaps having to wake up at 5.30 in the morning to sweep the compound. Why? Why did I have to wake up that early? Infact, I was expected to wake up early even when I had nothing to do, or when the househelps had already swept the compound. It wasn’t even funny!! Meanwhile, my brothers were never disturbed about work. Anyway, I guess the upside is that it was pretty good training and discipline for all of us.
"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."

-Proverbs 16:3
chizor
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby gloria » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:35 pm

My uncle and aunt with whom i used to spend mid-terms with in Aba always had a gari project anytime I showed up for mid-term hols. They even conscripted my cousin's african american wife once. I clearly remember her reluctantly coming out of the kitchen armed with a sharp knife and stool to tackle the mountain of raw cassava that awaited peeling in the backyard. Eventually a picture of her peeling 'all that brown stuff' made its way down to her people in America. She doesn't live here anymore by the way.

I also learnt how to make akpu from scratch when I was stuck in the village (during long vacation!) because of 'oso Abiola'
gloria
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby uluisrare » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:06 am

Ulu shuffles into the room, still dressed in her white therapeutic overalls, and now very angry that fggcowerri.com keeps pulling her out of her happy place....!!!!!!! :roll:

anyway, since we have decided to make ourselves feel funny... lemme chip in my own....

who remembers pounding pepper in a mortar just to get "ose oji" for eating anara...!!!!
those days were not funny o.... and somehow my sis ada never got to do those jobs, she just had a way of squeezing out of it... probably because i showed a genuine interest in cooking back then, i did not know that showing interest meant wahala o....
when i got wiser sha, she started paying me to do her own bit... after all man must wack!!!!
BTT, I would pound pepper and add that seed (is it called enini or wot?) and i remember feeling like an ajebo for pounding cos i remember someone saying that in "the olden days" (that was a common word in my house.. olden days... meaning??????) it was grinding stone they used to use...
And yes, chiz i remember wondering why they had to buy, "abakiliki rice" that needed picking when there was caprice and the likes....
nhia, there was nothing i did not do o.... i made plantain chips (being the last born with four hefty kids before me, i was alone at home and considered it a thing of pride to drive from fggc owerri to okigwe with my parents to drop off all i had spent the friday before frying!!!) anyway i fried chin chin (in the days of austerity measures, i used palm oil to fry chin chin... biko was veg oil that expensive!!!!! 8O 8O ) plantain chips, i even fried odudu (one kind black eyed beans o...)

who remembers "cagasoc" tea... our moms made it out of yeast and something i cant remember... one of my cousins went to tap the thing, or so it was said... and she drank an overdose and her head got swollen... nhia... i started drinking the substance with respect o....

or was it in the days when soya beans became so healthy... nhia.... our mothers sef jumped at every... we would make soy milk from the beans... that seed was "well bad" because we would boil it for days on end, no shaking... the thing would still be gidigba... S.T.R.O.N.G!

But, we had a pressure pot my mom bought as far back as their wedding day in london in 1971, we had blenders they got as wedding gifts... all tucked away under their bed.... was it just a form of denial of child benefits...!!!!!

miraculously, my mom never made us pound akpu or foofoo.... i think my dad must have pitied us and formed not liking foofoo so all we ever had was eba....i remember how when we had foofoo it was like a big celebration in the house....

oh, i think i have told this story before, but i remember the time our christmas chicken squeezed out thru the window of the store we hid it in... and the 7 members of our family jumped out (in our pjays and wotever they had on) on the road chasing the "sokugo" chicken.. we caught it but daddy said the chicken was a winch... :twisted: so we did not eat it...

anyway, back to my happy place... :!:
If swimming is so good for you why are whales so fat?
uluisrare
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby shaded » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:10 am

I remember washing mounds of clothes for the family on saturdays. My mother did not believe in housegirl doing all the work, so my sister, the househelp and I would wash clothes for about 10 people. It felt like we spent all of saturday doing this while my friends would be playing. Thank God for washing machines.
shaded
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby chizor » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:22 pm

@ ulu- that is so true! i remember we had a lot of electrical gadgets that my parents brought back from London- Blender, pressure cooker, one toaster like kind of thing etc, but those things were just hidden away, and brought out once in a very blue moon. eg xmas,easter, etc. why?

We even had a washing machine which we never used!!
"Commit to the LORD whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."

-Proverbs 16:3
chizor
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby Trish » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:26 pm

U girls really crack me up....

Ulu, pls go back to ur hiding place and remain there until the next market day!

OMG - I feel so embarassed about the way I spent my hols now, knowing that most of u were making garri and stuff from scratch! Yeah, never did any of that. As the youngest in my house at the time who could work (my bro was a baby), all I did was wash plates and I complained ALL THE TIME.... and then played, plus tried to cheat at monopoly!!!

I did wash though on Saturdays... my mom made me wash clothes with her and we did that btw 7am and noon - my hands were blistered. Gosh, that's probably why my palms are soooooooooooo strong, with the nig hard water and omo - damn!

Kargasok tea????? - jeez, I'm sure I took that to school once, can't remember - my dad was crazee about that! It was like a miracle cure for everything.. he wud make us drink it every morning. It tasted kinda weird, but we drank it nontheless!

OH yeah, did u girls eat something we (rivers pple) call 'Knor'?? - it was those horribly massive maggots - yep, girls, maggots - i think larva of some insects found in palm trees. Again, my dad would bring them home and make my mom fry it - it fried with its own oil cos it was VERY oily.

OOOkay, I'm going to my own happy place.

Oh, BTW - Happy new yr ladies, I believe this is my first time on this site this yr. Wishing u all the best the yr. May God's blessings continue to be with us...and may we find more to be happy and glad for.

@ULU - congrats girl on ur trad marriage and forthcoming wedding. Didn't realise it was u sending me all those msgs on FB, ie. andreaanddele - i only realised that on Wednesday when i read ur email. So glad the trad went well....
Trish
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Topics