[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(./includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 554: include_once(): Failed opening './includes/auth/auth_jfusion.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/opt/cpanel/ea-php54/root/usr/share/pear')
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Federal Government Girls College Owerri • View topic - Modern Racism?

Modern Racism?

Discuss your favorite sports or teams: Soccer, NFL, NBA, MLB, Volley-ball and a lot more

Modern Racism?

Postby dubem » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:04 pm

LeBron James Vogue cover criticized
By MEGAN K. SCOTT, Associated Press Writer
Mar 24, 7:18 pm EDT

Buzz Up PrintNEW YORK - When Vogue announced its April cover starring LeBron James and Gisele Bundchen, the magazine noted with some fanfare that James was the first black man to grace its cover.

But the image is stirring up controversy, with some commentators decrying the photo as perpetuating racial stereotypes. James strikes what some see as a gorilla-like pose, baring his teeth, with one hand dribbling a ball and the other around Bundchen’s tiny waist.

It’s an image some have likened to “King Kong” and Fay Wray.

“It conjures up this idea of a dangerous black man,” said Tamara Walker, 29, of Philadelphia.

Photographer Annie Leibovitz shot the 6-foot-9 NBA star and the 5-foot-11 Brazilian model for the cover and an inside spread. Vogue spokesman Patrick O’Connell said the magazine “sought to celebrate two superstars at the top of their game” for the magazine’s annual issue devoted to size and shape.

“We think Lebron James and Gisele Bundchen look beautiful together and we are honored to have them on the cover,” he said.

James told The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer he was pleased with the cover, saying he was “just showing a little emotion.”

“Everything my name is on is going to be criticized in a good way or bad way,” James told the paper. “Who cares what anyone says?”

But magazine analyst Samir Husni believes the photo was deliberately provocative, adding that it “screams King Kong.” Considering Vogue’s influential history, he said, covers are not something that the magazine does in a rush.

“So when you have a cover that reminds people of King Kong and brings those stereotypes to the front, black man wanting white woman, it’s not innocent,” he said.

O’Connell, the Vogue spokesman, declined further comment.

In a column at ESPN.com, Jemele Hill called the cover “memorable for all the wrong reasons.” But she said in an interview that the image is not unusual — white athletes are generally portrayed smiling or laughing, while black sports figures are given a “beastly sort of vibe.”

For example, former NBA star Charles Barkley was depicted breaking free of neck and wrist shackles on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Dennis Rodman graced the cover of Rolling Stone with horns poking out of his forehead and his red tongue hanging out.

Images of black male athletes as aggressive and threatening “reinforce the criminalization of black men,” said Damion Thomas, assistant professor in the Department of Kinesiology at University of Maryland.

But others say the image show James’ game face — nothing more. And they note that Bundchen hardly looks frightened.

“James is a huge, black beautiful masculine statue and Gisele is a feminine, sexy gorgeous doll,” said Christa Thomas, 36, a black account supervisor in Los Angeles.

“I didn’t see any kind of racist overtone to it,” she said. “I still don’t. I think there is such a hypersensitivity to race still in this country.”

Husni said it is too soon to know how the magazine is selling, though the controversy could increase sales as people rush out to get a “collector’s edition.”

If nothing else, Walker said the cover underscores the need for a more diverse workplace.

“If more people of color worked for Vogue in positions of editorial authority, perhaps someone in the room might have been able to read the image the way so many of us are reading it now, and had the power to do something about it,” she said.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Whatever I allow into my world becomes my reality

To the degree that we seek the approval of men, we will compromise our obedience to Christ - Rick Joyner
dubem
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby shaded » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:00 am

I can't get worked up about this. Perhaps we should let somethings slide. If the man supposedly portrayed as a gorilla is not crying, why should I? And by the way this multimillionaire is pictured in Vogue - wetin be my own?
shaded
Ranking Member
Ranking Member

Postby dubem » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:48 pm

Nne, as far as I am "consigned" :D
Ndia (these people) no go leave man be!

I heard them popularizing the news on Cleveland TV that our very own LB was gonna be the first black male on the face of vogue.

We all rejoiced only for our jubilation to be bashed with this news... 8O 8O 8O
Na im make I say make I post am see wetin people tink about am.

You are right though, sometimes we may take things too far and adding comma where a full stop would rather be...
But for some reason, after reading their article, I could see where the writer was coming from also.

Why do black people have to be painted as evil, scary or monstrous by the media for them to be acceptable though :smt017
In fairness to this writer, I think it is also a worthy argument...

Though we may never know what the original photographer was thinking when he paired them up like that but ask urself this....
Were his/her intensions as subtle as it seems or can it truly be racism hiding in the back of one's heart? :smt102

Hmmmmmm, we just may never know! :o

To the degree that we seek the approval of men, we will compromise our obedience to Christ - Rick Joyner
dubem
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Postby faridah » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:16 pm

I cannot say for sure that it is racism; however, I feel it is an economic decision for the magazine. The magazine want s to sell, and vogue (probably after market analysis) feels that its audience would not buy their magazine if it has only a black man, Lebron on its cover, so they are sprucing it up with the picture of a white woman, and also buying into the popular imagery as of a “black thug”.

Whoever their audience is, do not want to see black people on the cover, or any minorities for that matter, so anytime they put a black person they need to garnish the photo. Maybe if it were Oprah, Will Smith, Halle Berry, Obama, or Beyonce, they could appear alone. I am sure the controversy they have created, probably resulted in more sales, as opposed to having only Lebron on the cover. I do not buy vogue and Elle anyway. I only bought Elle once, and that is because they had Alec Wek on the cover. Anytime these magazines put a non-traditional looking person (non-white person), it is risky for them, sales wise. For instance, when Beyonce was on the cover of In style, the magazine was slimmer than usual, because less companies advertised in it, because I guess they did not think In style would be able to sell many copies of the edition. I would be interested in knowing if they sold that much.

Magazines want to sell, the person on the cover is like window dressing to attract people to buy, and they will put the person whom they believe would sell the most.
faridah
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Postby dubem » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:24 pm

Nice business analysis Fari!
U go gurl! :P

dubem
The Untouchable
The Untouchable

Return to Sports